Easy Oven Beef Jerky

I don't know about you, but I am a HUGE fan of any kind of jerky.  In fact, when my hubby goes hunting, I instruct him to order the entire deer in jerky (and hot sticks... but mostly jerky).

When I was growing up, there was this meat market (you Freeportians know what I am talking about), it was called Brestensky's.  It was a little store in downtown, one-stop-light-town, Freeport PA.  Outside there was a statue of a cow.  I loved that cow as a child.  It meant my mom was getting some awesome meats from the butcher, we were getting free samples on toothpicks, and she was going to splurge on $10 worth of beef jerky.  They had the BEST beef jerky I have ever had.  It was super thin and perfectly dehydrated.

Ugh, lady... get to the recipe ----> I know that is what you are saying!  ;-)

So, I have been stalking Pinterest for a while, trying to find the right jerky recipe and instructions and, would you believe that on my FIRST try, I think I have created the best at-home, easy oven jerky!?

Well, I did. And I'm not sharing any of it with you, so don't come knocking on my door.

Make it yourself!

I purchased fresh flank steak, sliced super thin from the grocery store.  *Note, you can also buy a cut of meat that you like and freeze it for a few hours then go to town cutting it as thin as you like*

I made the marinade and put the beef strips in the sweet sauce in a baggie for a full 24 hours (in the fridge).

This is what you will need for that:

Marinade Ingredients
1/2 c Bragg's Aminos- You can use soy sauce, but I made this as healthy as possible by using Aminos
1/2 c Lea & Perrins - worchestershire sauce
1 tbsp honey
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp liquid smoke (key!)
1-2 tsp red pepper flakes, depending on how spicy you like it
dash of cayenne pepper

Mix it all together, put in a gallon sized baggie with your steak, place in fridge.



The next day, you will want to drain your marinade and pat dry your steak slices and place on a cookie drying rack.  I lined my oven rack with foil so I didn't have a huge mess to clean up after.

I put my oven on it's lowest heat setting, which for mine was 170.  I used the convection feature of my oven so the air was continuously circulating... which I think aided in the quickness to this process!









Once the oven was preheated, I put my steak in and shut the door.  About 3 hours later, I turned the pieces over and let "cook" for another hour.  When that hour was up... I took my pieces out and cooled them on a paper towel.

Then I ate a bunch and jumped up and down for joy because IT IS AMAZING!!!

Let me know if you try this.  It was WAYYYYYY easier than I thought it was going to be and I will definitely be making it again.

This homemade beef jerky is a GREAT protein packed snack, and the best part about it is, I KNOW WHAT INGREDIENTS went into making it... no strange preservatives, no MSG, just good, pure, healthy ingredients!






Comments

Popular Posts